If you get Social Security or Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) benefits, your Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) premium will be deducted from your benefit payment.
If you’re a federal retiree with an annuity from OPM and not entitled to RRB or SSA benefits, you may request to have your Part B premiums deducted from your annuity. Call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227, TTY1-877-486-2048) to make your request.
If you don’t get these benefit payments, you’ll get a bill. If you choose to buy Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance), you’ll always get a bill for your premium. There are 4 ways to pay these bills:
- Pay by check or money order. Write your Medicare Number on your payment, and mail it with your payment coupon to: Medicare Premium Collection Center P.O. Box 790355 St. Louis, MO 63179-0355
- Pay by credit/debit card. To do this, complete the bottom portion of the payment coupon on your Medicare Premium Bill, and mail it to the address above. Payments submitted without the bottom portion of the payment coupon may not be processed.
- Sign up for Medicare Easy Pay. This is a free service that automatically deducts your premium payments from your savings or checking account each month. Visit Medicare.gov and search for “Easy Pay,” or call 1-800-MEDICARE to find out how to sign up.
- Use your financial institution’s Online Bill Payment service. Electronic online bill payments are a secure and fast way to make your payment from checking or savings account. Ask your financial institution if it allows customers to pay bills online. Not all financial institutions offer this service and may charge a fee. You’ll need to give your financial institution information:
- Account number: This is your Medicare Number. It’s important that you use the exact number on your red, white, and blue Medicare card, but without the dashes.
- Biller name: CMS Medicare Insurance
- Remittance address: Medicare Premium Collection Center P.O. Box 790355 St. Louis, MO 63179-0355
Note to RRB Annuitants: If you get a bill from the RRB, mail your premium payments to: RRB Medicare Premium Payments P.O. Box 979024 St. Louis, MO 63197-900024
If you have questions about your premiums, call 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227, TTY 1-877-486-2048). If you need to change your address on your bill, call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY -800-325-0778). If your bills are from the RRB, call 1-877-772-5772 (TTY 1-312-751-4701).
If you’d like more information about paying your Medicare premiums, visit Medicare.gov to view the brochure “Understanding the Medicare Premium Bill Form (CMS-500).”